Re: Searching for a Sudoku client to put into GNOME-games

> The user interface of Sudoku Savant is the furthest away from the style
> of Gnome Games and the Gnome Human Interface guidelines.
Not surprising really; I was only scratching a personal itch, not aiming for World Sudoku
Domination ;-).

> The use of colour raises accessibility issues.
But is inevitable when two of the algorithms involved are "simple colouring" and
"multi-colouring".

> The second seems to be the only version to allow other grid sizes besides 9x9
Not true; sudoku-savant allows up to 30x30 grids (with 5x6 or 6x5 boxes) for people who should
really try and get out more.

> One thing to test would be keyboard navigation.
Nope, I didn't put any keyboard support in because my original goal was drive the GUI entirely by
mouse. I'm not sure how a keyboard-only user would want to navigate the GUI, but I think that
round-robin TABing between all the controls would irritate me very quickly. At least the menu bar
has (some) keyboard support ;-).

> I wonder if there is a way to get the Sudoku games to interoperate better with each other.

A worthy goal, but surely the net of interoperability should be wider than these 3 sudoku
implementations? The population of www.sudoku.com's forums like to share 9x9 grids as a string of
81 characters, e.g.

so I put support for that in via the "-c" parameter. But ultimately, everyone seems to have
his/her own representation. The world is crying out for some kind of XML schema.

Cheers,
Chris

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" ? The Wall Street Journal
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html