Re: Plan for new games in gnome-games

Hi :o)

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 15:36 +0200, Andreas R� wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Based on the discussions about new games so far, the gnome-games
> maintainers (Jason and I) have decided on a plan for including a new
> game in gnome-games during the GNOME 2.18 cycle. The plan is described
> here: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGames/NewGamesPlan
>
> The plan involves the following:
> - During the release cycle for GNOME 2.18 we remove one old game, and
> add one new game. The new game get included in Gnome Games 2.18.
> - The decision of which game to add, and which to be removed should be
> made based on a survey hosted on

Sounds reasonable, I wouldn't recommend relying solely on the survey
though, but rather using it as an indicator. Things that lesson the
value of such a survey are that only a minute fraction of users will
ever participate, these users all fall into the category of "users
having Internet access". The vast majority of people replying to this
survey will probably be people who follow GNOME development and so many
will be "techies" and many developers. In any case, a survey should
never replace common sense ;o) Also there are so many games that a clear
winner is unlikely, and it is probable that there will be a low
percentage difference between the games (low standard deviation).

I'm shocked to see that one of my favourite games (Iagno) is still at
0%, I myself omitted to vote for it, so I accept full responsibility for
this :) Even if this were to stay at 0% I would argue that this game is
well known (in France at least, where it's physical counterpart has at
least in the past had TV commercials) whereas a game such as klotski or
robots is much less well known. Some games such as tetravex or robots
also have a much higher barrier to adoption (they are harder to learn I
mean ;). Anyhow, that's about as much I'm prepared to defend it :o)

If you are having a vote about which game to remove, how about a vote
about which game to include ?

Personally, Gweled and  Monkey Bubble seem fun and easy so they get my
vote. Sudoku is all the rage at the moment, and perhaps it would give us
one up on the competition (you know who I am talking about ;).

My two cents...

Love, Karderio.