Re: Gnome Stones [was Re: gnome-games 2.14.0]

To be a little more explicit: the entire set of "Atari caves" was a
direct duplication of the the design of the original game. While we can
justify a similar game, a direct copy gets dubious. (The whole
boulder-dash side of the game is a clone, the graphics were similar
too.)

On the code side the Sokoban code was based on a previous Unix Sokoban
implementation that contained code stolen from a commercial game (that
event dates from around 1990). I don't know exactly what code was
involved, but given the nature of the design I would guess that the
boulder-dash code would also have been tainted.

To reassure you, there were no threats (or fear, or uncertainty, or
doubt) involved, just a friendly heads-up about the issues from a group
who have business reasons for making sure everything is above-board
legally.

"Cloning" software is generally not held to be illegal: different code
which produces the same effect is OK. This case goes beyond that though.

As Richard points out: the better thing is to be creative.