Re: Gnome Stones [was Re: gnome-games 2.14.0]

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Callum McKenzie wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:35:44 +1200
> From: Callum McKenzie <callum spooky-possum org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: games-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Gnome Stones [was Re: gnome-games 2.14.0]

> To be a little more explicit: the entire set of "Atari caves" was a
> direct duplication of the the design of the original game.

(I'm assuming this goes beyond recreating level layouts very similiar to
the original and there is more to it than that.)

> While we can justify a similar game, a direct copy gets dubious. (The
> whole boulder-dash side of the game is a clone, the graphics were
> similar too.)

(Again I'm assuming the "direct" part was very direct, such as the example
you gave of the sounds being recorded.)

> To reassure you, there were no threats (or fear, or uncertainty, or
> doubt) involved, just a friendly heads-up about the issues from a group
> who have business reasons for making sure everything is above-board
> legally.

When I wrote Fear Uncertainty and Doubt I was referring to the legal
climate which causes developers to run from anything even remotely
questionable rather than suggesting anyone was making any actual threats.
With some much paranoia there is little need to threaten - and developers
being paronoid about legal threats does not mean there is not good reason
to be paranoid.

> "Cloning" software is generally not held to be illegal: different code
> which produces the same effect is OK. This case goes beyond that though.

It worries me where exactly the line is drawn but I hope we are far enough
away that it shouldn't matter.

> As Richard points out: the better thing is to be creative.

Easy to say, harder to do.  Gnome Games is not exactly original but many
hands and many eyes make it a very good version.  There is a biblical and
therefore very old quote about there being "nothing new under the sun",
most ideas are a variation on a theme.  What one company calls innovation
is what other call taking existing ideas, doing them a little differently
and bringing them to the mass market.  Others disagree about how creative
or innovative it really is.

Before I get any further off on my tangent I'll leave this discussion to
rest, and accept Gnome Stones had serious issues and leave the other
questions for another time.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org