Re: Board of Directors Elections 2019 - Candidacy - Jeremy Allison

On 5/31/19 4:43 PM, James wrote:

Hi Jeremy!

Really glad to see that you're running for the board!

Assuming I'm correct in that we're allowed to ask questions to
prospective candidates here, I'll throw in a few...
(Other candidates are welcome to answer as well.)

1) What distribution(s) do you use on your personal and work laptops
and desktops?

Work desktop uses a custom distro based on debian (gLinux). Can't
go into more details due to corporate rules :-). The
desktop here is based on Cinnamon, which is a Gnome3
fork I believe.

At home I have several Ubuntu machines (laptops and desktops).
The family generally use Canonical's Unity as that's what
they got used to. I bounce between Unity and Gnome3 as
distributed on the latest Ubuntu release (19.04 is the
latest I upgraded).

2) What's the biggest technical difficulty you've had with modern GNOME?

Hmm. Mostly it "just works (tm)" :-). The things I
used to complain about with Nautilus got re-added
back in the latest releases. Would be nice to see
Wayland finished and become the default display
server but that's not Gnome's project.

3) How will you help GNOME succeed on modern mobile devices where the
hardware is often very locked down or difficult to get running on?

That's a really hard one :-). As you may know, I'm
really not a fan of DRM, but we had some success
on Chromebooks which have a developer mode allowing
non-Google code to be installed due to the requirements
of GPLv3 code - so GPLv3 anti-drm features (which I had
a hand in adding to the license) are very important.

Locked down environments are unpleasantly susceptible
to security holes which can't be fixed other than
by the vendor.

At a recent CERT meeting in San Francisco I attended
I did make the point that license compliance is the
first step in being able to report a software Bill
Of Materials which is the basis of tracking any
security problems in the Free Software/Open Source
components a company may ship (and *everyone* ships
FLOSS code these days).

To cut a long story short, we won't fix this overnight,
but patience and education to vendors is our only
possible path forward.

Thanks and good luck! You have my support =D
James

Thanks !

Jeremy.