Re: Events Code of Conduct: Effects on Hackfests

Benjamin Berg <benjamin sipsolutions net> wrote:
You are repeatedly insisting, that the Code of Conduct (CoC) committee
will never make use of these far reaching powers (only stopping at
permanent sanctions such as "removal of Foundation membership").

All I'm saying is that, in practical terms, the code of conduct
committee isn't likely to remove someone from a hackfest, because it's
not going to be at hackfests in the first place.

I find this rather contradictory. Why would the Board explicitly grant
such far reaching powers, if it does not expect the committee to ever
use them?

If the Board trusts local organisers to collaborate with the CoC
committee and decide on sanctions together with them, then these powers
are not necessary. Yet, the Board has chosen to explicitly grant these
powers, meaning that organisers are instead compelled to implement
decisions by the committee. This appears to imply a distrust against
organisers to live up to their responsibilities.

I can't answer this on behalf of the board: first, because we have a
new board and second, because I don't remember the previous board
discussing these precise questions.

My personal view is that it makes sense for the committee to have
these powers, since formal responsibility for maintaining the code of
conduct at GNOME events should rest with the Foundation. It also
allows the committee to act at a supra-event level - for example, if
someone needs to be banned from future events. It's got nothing to do
with distrust for event organisers.

In future messages, please clearly state which questions are being
addressed to the current Board of Directors.

Allan