Re: Mapbox status

fre 2018-01-05 klockan 15:37 +0000 skrev Neil McGovern:
In the short term, we're having our access extended on a month-by-
month
basis while we work out a more permanent solution. Big thanks to
MapBox
for this offer. We're working with MapBox to see what the cost of the
pay-as-you-go plan would be, and are trying to see how that could be
affordable for the Foundation.

Long term: if we can continue with MapBox or another service
provider,
are other GNOME apps also allowed to use this service (and the JSON
service file of Maps)? I'm asking this as the GNOME Contacts
maintainer, as the app sorely needs to look into updating its code
displaying maps. I'm at a point where I'm even considering
(temporarily) ripping that feature out as it's leading to crashes
for
some people.

I'm not sure about the specifics for this, but AIUI, we have a GNOME
redirector in place so in theory, we should have something more
stable
even if we do switch providers. I'm not entirely sure who runs that -
any ideas?

Maps downloads the service file [1] (hosted on GNOME infrastructure),
it's a simple JSON file containing service definitions with URLs for
the different tile sources. We used to have a proxy at one point (but
that has since been de-commisioned, and the service definition points
directly to the tile providers.

[1] https://gis.gnome.org/services/v1/service.json

//Marcus

Neil