Re: New GNOME Foundation employee - GTK+ Core Developer

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 11:25 AM Neil McGovern <neil gnome org> wrote:

On Sun, 2018-12-02 at 19:25 -0500, James wrote:
One question: is Emmanuele given any particular tasks or direction
for
GTK+, eg: does the GNOME foundation have any specific priorities
they'd like to address, or is it more self-directed?

In general, the Foundation has the following high level goals:
 * Increased user base
 * Sustainable project and foundation
 * Wider awareness and mindshare

Any openness in improving our cross platform story?  I understand that
is a very large ask and may not be the best use of Foundation
resources, but I do believe that this is something that would be
beneficial for GTK+ as a project (vs the desktop)  especially if we
can make gains in growing sectors like automotive, healthcare and IoT.

As part of this, we're coming up with medium length (think: 5 year)
strategies and goals, and the GTK work will feed into this. So it's not
a free-for-all, but as with any employment, I expect a certain amount
of self-direction and a conversation about what any employee thinks
would be best to concentrate on.

For sure!  Thanks for the clarification.

This will start to form in the next few weeks. We're already looking at
GTK team meetings, and a development plan.

This is excellent.  Please let the engagement team know how we can
help with outreach/wider awareness/mindshare.

Cheers,

sri

Neil
--
Neil McGovern
Executive Director, The GNOME Foundation