Re: GNOME 3.26 Release Parties

As of now, we don't have any other accounts set up. We have thought about using TransferWise [1], but I doubt we'll have this set up in time for this upcoming release party cycle.

It looks like TransferWise would work in Turkey, and in many of the countries where we have local groups. Does anyone have experience using the service? Apparently, TransferWise has low fees. @Muhammet - have you used Payoneer or Skrill before and do you recommend those above others? We're happy to consider other tools and it'd be helpful to know people's experience using them.

I'm including more information about the larger challenge around payments below. If anyone is interested in this topic, please email me or the Board as we're having a Foundation hackfest [2] in early October around budgets, financial policies, etc, and we'd love your thoughts on what's working well and what isn't so we can discuss and try to problem-solve.

Thank you!

Best,
Nuritzi

[1] https://transferwise.com/
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Hackfests/Foundation2017

Some context on payments

Here are the main problems we've had with sending small reimbursements so far:
  • Bank transfer fees are heavy and paid by both the GNOME Foundation and usually also by recipients, depending on their bank's policies.

  • PayPal is not available in all of the countries where we have active groups. It still has steep fees for some countries.

  • We don't want to set up too many online payment accounts because of the overhead of managing them.
Because of these issues, it's been hard to reimburse local organizers for small events. The PayPal solution has worked at least somewhat well for groups in the past year, but it excludes people in Turkey, where we have an active community.