Re: Introduction: Philip Chimento

Nice we have you ! Congrats and keep the good work !

Cheers,

   -- Juanjo Marin

On 08/08/2016 07:56 AM, philip chimento gmail com wrote:
Hi list,

I've just become a member of the Foundation. I received a welcome email encouraging me to introduce myself to this list.

So: hello! First of all I'm happy to be a member.

My last name is pronounced as if it started with the letter K. I can be said to be from several different places but I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. On IRC I can sometimes be found lurking under the nickname "ptomato". Using that name I also answer questions on Stack Overflow about GTK and Autotools. I usually sign myself "Philip C" on GNOME mailing lists to avoid confusion with the many other Phil(l)ip(p(e))s.

It's 10 years ago this month that I started writing code using GTK and the GNOME stack, in my "copious" spare time while in grad school for experimental physics. Not until several years after that did I actually make contributions to GNOME. I started out by fixing a bug here and there, wandered from there into documentation reviews, and tried to participate remotely in hackfests from time to time. When I started working for Endless I started writing more substantial features, primarily for GJS so far. My first in-person hackfest was this June's GTK hackfest in Toronto, where I started some GTK patches that I still need to find time to finish :-)

I've also written a few tools that other GNOME contributors may find useful:
https://github.com/ptomato/jasmine-gjs - Port of the Jasmine test framework to GJS that integrates nicely with Autotools
https://github.com/ptomato/osxcart - Library for interfacing between GNOME and file formats commonly used in Mac OSX such as plist and RTF(D)

I look forward to seeing some of you at GUADEC in a few weeks.

Regards,
Philip C