Re: FOSDEM Desktops DevRoom 2016 Call for Participation

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 06:55:39PM +0000, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Christophe Fergeau <teuf gnome org> wrote:
Given the amount of projects asking for devrooms, I suspect this is
going to be hard. The FOSDEM organizers asked us to merge the devrooms
for a reason. We already only have this shared devroom only for a day.

Yeah I understand that but I'm wondering if they could be persuaded
not to treat all applying projects equally and give more room and time
to projects that are more popular/bigger.

GNOME does get more room than most projects in the sense that the
desktops devroom is in a 100+ room (and there are only a few such
rooms). Many projects do get rooms with far less seats.

I didn't want to say bad of any projects in particular here but I feel
I have to give an example, to make my point so I'll mention one that I
actually love: Guile.  Given that there is a handful of people who use
Guile (or even Scheme in general), I really don't see why it should be
given the same amount of room/time as GNOME and KDE.

It's their first time at FOSDEM, so it's nice that they get a devroom
:) I expect they'll get a small room. A 40 seats devroom would probably
not very useful to GNOME. I expect it's the same for most smaller
projects, the devrooms they get would be too small for us. I did not
look who got 100+ rooms last year, but I'd expect they all are fairly
popular projects (Mozilla, virtualization, maybe embedded, ...)

Christophe