Re: Minutes of the Board meeting of August 29th, 2014

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 23:42 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
* Getting a Bountysource account for the Foundation? (see "Bounties
for GNOME/GTK" thread)
   * ACTION: Rosanna to open the account and coordinate with Daniel
Foré (Sri to get them in touch)

Does this mean we're considering posting bounties on bugs? I think
that's a great idea; it seems to be an effective way of generating
interest in solving a bug [1] [2]. But would it be less expensive for
the Foundation to handle bounties itself, rather than going through
Bountysource?  Bountysource takes a 10% cut of each bounty; that seems
quite high. Ideally, the Foundation would handle payment of bounties
instead; presumably our cost of administration would be less than 10%?

There hasn't been any plans for posting bounties on bugs.
ElementaryOS does this and since they extensively use the GNOME stack
they had some bounties on some bugs that were fixed by GNOME
foundation members.  They have been sitting in a Bountysource account.
He asked me if there was some way to transfer the money from the
bountysource account to the foundation.  Zana was going to create an
account for making that transfer and the action item was to put them
in touch with each other.

Daniel Foré

Their terms of service [1] are also highly questionable. They reserve
the right to take all the money in our account, or cancel our bounties
without refunding our money, at any time and without any explanation,
without cause or notice (section 6.5). "Without cause" seems like a
pretty good place for us to draw a line....

Daniel Foré should probably be the one who we should alert.  We don't
use it ourselves.  However, I am intrigued if people believe that we
should put out bounties?  What I get a lot of times and you've seen
this yourselves is that a lot of bugs are complex and takes a lot of
intimate knowledge of the GTK+ or GNOME stack.  Would it be effective?

sri