Re: Call for OPW project ideas

Benjamin Berg schreef op ma 10-11-2014 om 16:30 [+0100]:
[1] I have don't remember seeing an indemnification (or even much of a
contract) when helping at events done by charitable organizations here
in germany. My guess is that it is simply not really necessary, though
it could also be that many organizations are not that careful.

I don't know German law, but in Belgium/Flanders the law says that:

      * Any non-profit that works with volunteers, is required to
        provide its volunteers with documentation (this can be oral, but
        most non-profits do it on paper, and some will require you to
        sign for receiving it, because that's easier to prove) that
        explains their rights & plights, including insurance, education
        offers[1], code of conduct, etc. (this is not (usually) a
        contract though)
      * Any non-profit that is a legal entity (or is part of a larger
        non-profit that is a legal entity) that works with volunteers,
        is legally liable for the actions of their volunteers while
        doing what they are supposed to do as a volunteer (unless they
        can prove gross misconduct or the like, of course),
      * Any non-profit that is a legal entity (or is part of a larger
        non-profit that is a legal entity) that works with volunteers,
        is legally required to have an insurance covering damage,
        including civil liability, caused by or to their volunteers (to
        some degree; insurances that cover more than legally required
        are possible)

In addition: currently the minimal required insurance for non-profits is
paid for by the Nationale Loterij ("national lottery") on request, so
volunteers are often insured for free (to some degree).

When I was on the board of a non-profit, that insurance requirement &
the offer by the Nationale Loterij didn't exist yet, but IIRC we paid a
couple 100 euro / year for the insurance that we had back then (even
before it was a requirement, most non-profits had insurances like that,
because it solves most likely disputes with volunteers easily for what
is a rather modest amount).

I wouldn't be surprised if Germany has some similar laws and/or
arrangements that make individual agreements unnecessary in most cases,
while also spreading responsibility quite fairly (and avoiding most
stupid lawsuits because of the insurance).

[1] education in this case could mean that OPW mentor volunteers have
access to educational material guiding their work, and maybe having
support from a person/organisation with experience in it (this person
could also be a volunteer, of course).

--
Jan Claeys