Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Karen Sandler

On 2014-05-20 09:17, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
Hi Karen,

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Oliver Propst <oliver propst gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
Affiliation: Software Freedom Conservancy. I'm also pro bono General Counsel of QuestionCopyright.Org, and an advisor of The Ada Initiative and sometimes
help other orgs (like the FSF) on legal and other free software related
matters.

As promised when I left the position of Executive Director, I'd like to
throw my hat in the ring for the Board of Directors. I think I can help
bring continuity to the board (Stormy was incredibly helpful on the board when I started as ED). Also, as a lawyer I sometimes have an additionally useful perspective. I'm still doing volunteer work for GNOME both as pro bono counsel and as a volunteer on nonlegal matters for GNOME. I've been helping with fundraising, collecting on outstanding invoices and generally
wherever I can.
You are a very busy person with many responsibilities, if you get
elected to the Board do you feel confident that you can spend the
necessary time on Board work?

While I think you do a lot for Free Software and your passion and work
inspires many, I'm afraid I do share Oliver's concern here.

I am extremely busy. I was just reading through all of the emails to board candidates this morning, as the time I've had in the last few days for GNOME I've spent volunteering on time sensitive things that I think must be done. This includes following up on outstanding invoices and also tracking a GNOME trademark matter. I also reviewed and commented on the contract for the GUADEC local organization (there may have been other things that I'm forgetting). And this is all in the last week, and not counting recording the voice over for the cool documentation video that Bastian is putting together :)

I have to say: being on the GNOME board takes a lot of time. It's not a small commitment that the candidates are offering to make! Most boards meet quarterly at most, so meeting every other week is really a lot. However, I think it's worth the time expenditure. I just recorded an oggcast on this topic (what it means to serve on a board of directors and whether you should want to do it), which unfortunately won't come out until next week.

If elected, I'll probably use my time for GNOME by participating in the meetings and working on things like I've been doing as a volunteer mentioned above and am less likely than some other candidates to engage in lengthy discussions on mailing lists, but I think that's ok provided that some of the other board members focus on that important role (I will chime in on discussion, it just might not be right away or in great detail).

karen