Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Oliver Propst

Hi Oliver,

On 15 May 2014 20:51, Oliver Propst <oliver propst gmail com> wrote:
Name: Oliver Propst
Email: oliver propst gmail com
Affiliation: None

Dear foundation members I want to announce my candidacy for the GNOME
Board of Directors.

I have been contributing as part of the Engagement Team since 2010,
recently I have been involved with the GUADEC 2015 Gothenburg bid and
the Annual Report.

I think that free software never have more important then now and if
we as a community can get together and do the necessary work the
greatest future of GNOME lay ahead of us.

I have two years of experience of being on the non-for profit FSCONS
board (FSCONS, the free software conference in Gothenburg that Karen
keynoted last year). More info about me (including occupation) can be
found here [1].

In the upcoming year I like to continue explore growth/collaborations
opportunities for the foundation and investigate the benefits of a
possible WC3 membership [2].

In early 2013, the board briefly investigated W3C membership, but the
costs were somewhat prohibitive and Karen had an action item to
investigate funding options, which seems to have fallen through the
cracks. The cost of a W3C membership is 7,900 USD and there is
extensive information available on their website at
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/membership . What benefits do you feel
that joining the W3C will bring to GNOME and how would you approach
sustainable raising the funding for the membership fees?

I would also want to work for the Board to have a stronger and more
public profile (especially in light of the current situation where we
have no ED).

1 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2014-April/msg00116.html
2 http://www.w3.org/

--