Re: Question for candidates

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Catanzaro" <mcatanzaro gnome org>
To: "David King" <amigadave amigadave com>
Cc: "foundation-list" <foundation-list gnome org>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 7:48:54 PM
Subject: Re: Question for candidates

On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 16:55 +0100, David King wrote:
Finally, and only once the financial situation is more clear, the
board
needs to find a new executive director. I anticipate that these
goals,
which in some ways amount to getting the Foundation "back on track"
will be challenging to meet over the next year.

I have a follow-up question (for David and incumbents): why do you want
(or not want) to hire a new executive director? What responsibilities do
you think the executive director role should entail? Can the foundation
afford to wait to hire a new executive director?

We need to hire an executive director because we need someone whose paid full-time job is to make sure that
the Foundation operates well and grows. Fundraising for their own salary would still afford the executive
director a lot of time for other activities. The key responsibilities for the executive director would be to
track and prioritize all the things that need to happen to have the Foundation thrive and to work with the
Foundation members to get those things done. The executive director personally can focus on any number of
those things, depending on which match their skills best.

I think we should aim to start the hiring process for an executive director as soon as all the OPW back
payments and advisory board fees for this year are paid. This is when we will best be able to evaluate if
having an executive director is sustainable with the current Foundation's income and how much we need to tie
their salary to additional fundraising.

I'm asking because most of Karen's work was not highly-visible. I'm
aware that she worked on recruiting new advisory board members and spoke
at conferences, both of which seem important. But I'm sure there must be
more to the job that I am unaware of, to justify the significant
expense.