Re: Question for candidates

On Mon, 19 May 2014, Max wrote:

Hi everyone,

Hey Max!

My question to all of you:

* What's your plan for "Promote / Growth GNOME in Asia"
-- GNOME.Asia summit ?
---- Central event management system for both GUADEC and GNOME.Asia?(  I
saw it last GUADEC but not start to use)
---- Other idea?

Two OPW interns have been working for several months to provide a
valid event management system for all the major GNOME events. The
software is currently based on OSEM (the Open Source Event Manager
[1]) and a test-bed is privately available on one of our testing
machines at OSUOSL. Part of the upcoming GUADEC organizers have been
granted access to the istance, if you are missing access to it please
let me know.

We should definitely find out what has gone wrong with it and why it
has not been declared ready for production yet. I will make sure to
follow-up on this as one of my goals for the next term if elected.

-- Google Summer of code / Outreach Program for Women
---- What's your plan for GsoC and OPW in Asia?
---- How many country get GsoC / OPW in Asia? What's your plan for promote
it with more country in Asia?

While OPW has had a great success in India (thanks to english being
widely spoken there) it did not have the same success on other Asia
regions probably because of the language barrier. What we can probably
do is localizing the content of the OPW flyer so that more women can
be aware of the Outreach Program for Women and apply for it. (I will
make sure to discuss about this with Marina if elected and propose the
idea to the relevant localization team)

That would hit another language barrier though which mainly relates to
the fact none of the current mentors are Chinese speakers. Max, did
you try interacting with any local university already? if yes, is
there anyone (both english and chinese speaker) who might be
willing to mentor a chinese-speaking student during one of the next OPW
rounds?

-- GNOME Foundation member in Asia?
---- How do we know our other member in Asia?( I suggest tobi last year, if
they want to fill their country when foundation member renew or new )
---- How do we get these member / resource together?

I'm not sure whether adding a "country" field on the foundation
database would be enough to achieve the proposed goal given someone
might just decide to not specify that information at all (for
protecting the privacy for example), additionally there is no real
need for the Membership Committee (and the Foundation generally) to
know where a contributor is based. But that's not all the Committee is
very busy lately and increasing the information to manage for each
single member would not be ideal. (I'm also sure the "country" field
would become inconsistent within a few months from it being introduced
for the simple fact someone might just forget to send an update to the
committee specifying he just moved to a new country)

What we can probably do is populating the "apply" form some more
including more information about how new or existing members can reach
their localized communities. (by suggesting the new member to
subscribe to gnome-CC-list gnome org (Country Code) for example or if
missing to ask the creation of a new list in case that specific community
is growing in number)

-- Are you interesting to involve Asia event? and how do you involve?

-- Anything you plan with Asia.

I've not been following very closely what the current situation for
GNOME.Asia is but Dave and Kat's emails clearly state the Foundation
is totally oriented on improving the current situation for the next
term and they will be personally there at the upcoming event to
instruct participants on the multiple ways to be engaged to the GNOME
project as contributors.

Max, how much the events that were organized and sponsored by the
GNOME Foundation did benefit the Asia region as a whole? how many new
contributors joined your ranks? what do you think could help you
improve the organization of the GNOME.Asia event?

During the past GUADEC we discussed the creation of an additional
planet to aggregate all the chinese-speaking feeds to help
non-english-speaking contributors to be aware of what's going on
behind the scenes of events like GNOME.Asia but generally any other
initiative happening in that area (the Planet GNOME rules currently
disallow localized content to be posted and while that keeps the
planet polished from mixed content to be published it also restricts
non-english-speakers to read it), do you think such addition would
still make sense? if yes, do you have a list of feeds to aggregate
there already? is a planet really needed or would a news feed on the
GNOME.Asia website be enough for the goal?

It's just awesome how deeply you care about GNOME and expanding its
horizons to Asia. Thanks for your contributions Max!

[1] https://github.com/openSUSE/osem

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,