Re: Board of Directors Elections 2014 - Candidacy - Anish Patil

Hi Anish

On 2014-05-18 21:22, anish patil <anish developer gmail com> wrote:
I did try to run hackfest in India couple of times but real problem is fund
raising, i did reach few Indian companies to sponsor for
events/hackfestsbut unfortunately that did not go that well.Being a
board director i wоuld
get better insight for board's financial status and i used to be an account
and project manager for one of the Bank in South Africa and i hope i could
utilize that experience.
And for fund raising, i am working on it(in-fact i tried to get sponsership
for GNOME.ASIA but it was on a short notice)

The largest cost for hackfests is travel and accommodation. Travel to India can often be expensive for those in Europe and the US, which is traditionally where a large number of GNOME contributors are based. Have you considered drawing on the experience of the Foundation's Indian members in calling for hackfest participation?

There are several documentation team members who have participated in the Outreach Program for Women, who I am sure would be able to organise an excellent hackfest on user help. If this hackfest was in a location where some Indian GNOME hackers could also reach it, you could attract newcomers to both documentation and development. You might want to invite 1 or 2 prominent GNOME contributors to the hackfest from outside of India, to demonstrate the diversity of contributors. This would help to keep costs low, and make the event better value for the Foundation.

While investigating GNOME outreach efforts in India, I came across gnome-in-list:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-in-list/

The mailing list seems dormant, but maybe it could be resurrected with a new focus on regional event planning. With an enthusiastic coordinator such as yourself, I think you would be able to attract a lot of interest.

--
http://amigadave.com/