Re: Minutes of the Board Meeting of March 11th, 2014

On 24 March 2014 16:18, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
I am less interested in where the toggle lives[0] than who is storing
the data, and what kind of data it is.

Right; 100% agreed. My original idea was to store one thing with the
distributor:

* The hashed IP (i.e. you can go from IP->id, but not id->IP) and the
application id (the .desktop name) that was installed or removed.

So sent over the wire would be the IP address (as if visiting a
website) and something like gimp.desktop and stored on the server
would be some kind of hash (e.g. SHA256) and a counter for
gimp.desktop.

The only thing we can get from this webservice as a user is:

* The number of people who installed gimp.desktop and the number of
people who uninstalled it
* A list of applications that were installed or removed across all users

The only thing (assuming the distro is *not* evil) the people
maintaining the database can see is the SHA256 hash and the
application count.

Richard