Re: Supporting the free software movement

On 2014-06-03 17:33, Marina Zhurakhinskaya wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <rms gnu org>
To: foundation-list gnome org
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:22:38 AM
Subject: Supporting the free software movement

Would candidates please answer the question,

How will you direct the GNOME Foundation to promote the general idea
of free software: that software should be free/libre?

I mean, beyond just making GNOME a good and useful free program.

Hi Richard,

I'd like us to continue promoting free software applications and
services that compliment GNOME's core offerings to the user and
inter-operate with them well. We should also work on strong privacy
and security features.

I'd like to see a larger presence from GNOME at LibrePlanet, and will
encourage people next year to submit talks about GNOME.

I include the explanation of the four freedoms, license types, and
distinction between Free Software and Open Source in the GNOME
Newcomers Workshop.

I agree with everything Marina said.

The newcomer's tutorial at the GNU 30th was a great example of the ways FSF and GNOME community can work well together.

I'd also love to continue to help the marketing team figure out ways to articulate and promote software freedom to nontechnical people as well as to our core userbase. How we talk about and explain what we do can be as important as what we do.

karen

Thanks,
Marina

--