Re: Supporting the free software movement

Le samedi 31 mai 2014 à 6:22 -0400, Richard Stallman a écrit :

Would candidates please answer the question,

    How will you direct the GNOME Foundation to promote the general idea
    of free software: that software should be free/libre?

I mean, beyond just making GNOME a good and useful free program.

I'm a bit puzzled* by the question.

Beyond the technical aspect of "GNOME the community" making a Free
desktop and eventually a Free operating system, the GNOME Foundation has
always been about helping GNOME (as an ecosystem and community) thrive,
and to promote Free Software. By raising awareness, Free Software in
general benefits from GNOME's recognition.

I am not aware of any actions by GNOME (the foundation, the community,
the product) that have been detrimental to promotion of Free/Libre
Software. On the contrary, as far as I know, everything that has been
done so far has been in the interest of promoting the general idea of
Free Software, and I don't foresee that changing.

*: is there a specific issue that you are concerned with right now and
would like to see addressed? Or should I simply interpret that as a
request for confirmation that we will continue upholding our Free
Software ethos and do our best to continue to raise awareness?
The answer to both is obviously "yes" to me.

Best regards,
Jean-François