Re: Minutes of the Board meeting of March 25th, 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140325

= Minutes for Tuesday, March 25th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

 * Diego could not get a visa for the West Coast Hackfest
  * Should we reimburse his visa fees
  * '''VOTE''': Reimburse USD 160 of visa costs for Diego: -1 Andreas,
Kat; +1 Sri, Tobi, Marina, Emmanuele; Joanie abstains
  * We should discuss to amend our policy for reimbursements for visa
costs in the future

I am appalled at this decision. When I was denied visa in 2013, I was flat out told
that visa fees cannot be reimbursed and I spent 73 USD on visa fees and I spent 306 USD
going to & fro travel to the Embassy but I was told not a single cent can be reimbursed.
I was a newcomer to GNOME then aspiring to attend the Brno Docs Hackfest in January.
I was an OPW intern even then participating in remotely.

What is the situation with Diego that the vote in his/her favor?

At this point of travel expenses being given only *to help* and not *to cover everything*
why are we reimbursing visa fees? I understand the loss of money having been on that side
but I don't understand the inconsistency of rules.

Thanks.

-Sindhu