Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 10:57 -0500, meg ford wrote:
Hi Bastien,

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
wrote:
        On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 16:47 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
        > On 10 May 2013 15:55, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
        wrote:
        > > I've never heard the word "gimp" used as a slur against
        handicapped
        > > people
        >

        > If it helps, I've never heard the word used this way either.
        However,
        > my understanding of the common use of the word isn't any
        better
        > (warning; possibly NSFW):
        >
        > https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gimp+mask&tbm=isch

        I think a majority of people on this list will be familiar
        with Pulp
        Fiction ;)

        And I wasn't arguing that "GIMP" is a nice name, it's just
        that I don't
        understand the reasoning enunciated in the original e-mail.
        Saying "I
        don't want GNOME to be associated with SM leather bound dudes"
        is better
        than (possibly) creating connections that don't exist between
        2 words.

That isn't the common meaning of the word, though. SM players use it
specifically because it's offensive. Which is fine in their context
(let's not debate it, at least, TMI), where it is understood that it
is not real life and is never directed at someone who is not
consenting. The general meaning of the term irl is a slur.

I'll note that this still doesn't answer my question. If somebody has
access to a dictionary with good etymology, I'd like them to clue me
in...