Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:

I've never heard the word "gimp" used as a slur against handicapped
people (which I guess is what you're getting at[1]). What made you think
that there was a connection between those 2 uses of the word?

I was aware of the connotation, but until earlier this thread I've
been able to excuse it by saying "no, it's just an acronym"[1]. If
what Liam says is true and it was named after the film character, it's
precisely the same use of the word.

Mike

[1]: I'm conditioned to separate the software from the common usage,
but my wife reacted with distaste when I installed it on her iMac.