Re: jabber.gnome.org: a proposal

Bonjour,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:42:23PM -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
Is there some reason the Jabber server has to be connected to that LDAP
password?
Well. If you don't, then you need to implement some form of
registration and authentication.
One could do in-band registration but restricting that to, say, only
people having a GNOME Foundation membership requires you to have that
data somehow. Potentially in LDAP.
Leaving in-band registration open for everyone makes maintaining that
service an even bigger burden. For close to no benefit as there are
several open Jabber servers out there.

Not having in-band registration means that you have to somehow come up
with a registration form, most likely web as you wouldn't want to code
and maintain some self written module in an obscure language that
all the jabber servers are implemented in. It's all possible, but
someone needs to do it. And more importantly: Maintain it.

I'm all for self hosted services. I don't like to be dependent on third
parties that may have interests that do not play well together with
mine. In the case of a GNOME jabber server though, I assume minimal
benefits with high costs. The potential benefits raised in the thread
did not convince me. The distributed nature of XMPP makes it hard to
justify running your own instance if you don't heavily depend on it.

Cheers,
  Tobi