Re: ask.gnome.org for developers

Hi All,

I think an ask.gnome.org instance would be a good idea overall, but there would be a couple of things to keep in mind. Before I get into it, though, I wanted to make point about forums and forum software. Jorge Castro from Canonical gave a talk at the recent Open Help Conference* about the Ubuntu Stack Exchange site, and one of the take-aways that I got from his talk is that forums are a technology that was developed for discussion, but that they were co-opted for user support. Jorge mentioned quite a few downsides to using forums for user support, but the one that stands out to me is that forum threads can get really long - to the point where a thread might be 64 pages, and the answer to your problem is on page 34.

I also took away that perhaps the most important thing about a any kind of ask.*.com site is that people who are knowledgeable about the particular topic actually use it. Jorge talked a lot about how he cajoles developers to answer particular questions out on the ask.ubuntu.com site. I'm not a developer, so I'm not sure how developers are getting their questions answered, but any ask.gnome.org site would compete with resources like the mailing lists, IRC and (from an end-user perspective) even sites like Google Plus and Facebook.

One way that we could mitigate this is to link to interesting questions on those outlets to the ask.gnome.org site. That is, have a post on G+ or facebook linking back to the ask.gnome.org site to seek out input from folks, or to highlight a particularly interesting or useful discussion.

In terms of using Stack Exchange, I think they run a good service (there seemed to be agreement at the conference that SA sites have some neat features that just aren't available on an askbot-based site), but think it's in our best interests and in line with our values to use a non-proprietary service. Also, using our own service would allow us to license the content under our own terms. Stack Exchange sites do use CC-by-SA 3.0 licensing for their content (which is the same as our user documentation), but the attribution requirements are pretty stringent.  If we hosted our own instance, discussions and questions / answers from that site could be more seamlessly integrated into more complete documentation.

I think it's a good idea to at least give something like this a trial-run. Perhaps set up a test instance (kind of like our own Area-51) to see if there is interest in something like this.

Jim C

*Shaun McCance wins at conferences - it was a great event this year.