Re: ask.gnome.org for developers

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:25 AM, meg ford <meg387 gmail com> wrote:
We have the non-official GNOME Forums already[1]. Hosting something else ourselves seems like a waste. Am I missing something?

[1]http://forums.worldofgnome.org/

The problem is that they are unofficial.  The reason they were put in place is to prove that there is an audience for forums as there was some doubt on whether forums were going to be effective.  In my estimation I think forums have worked out fairly nicely and that if it was moved into an official capacity that it would be even more successful.  However, we haven't made that decision yet.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM, James <purpleidea gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 15:08 +0200, Alexandre Franke wrote:

> The Stack exchange software (used by Stack overflow) is proprietary. I
> think Ubuntu used to have their instance hosted there.
>
> There is AskBot (http://askbot.org/) which is a free software
> alternative. It seems to be used by Fedora
> (https://ask.fedoraproject.org/) and we could run that on our servers.
>
> Solace (http://opensource.plurk.com/solace/) is another possibility.
>
> > We could possibly just point people to
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/gnome-3 or
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/gnome
>
> Relying on a third party hosted, non free software tool when there is
> a viable free software alternative doesn't seem very in line with the
> GNOME philosophy.

+1, askbot seems nice. Good idea!

James