Re: GUADEC videos are available only with nonfree codecs

        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    Yesterday I discovered that the GUADEC videos on
    http://www.superlectures.com/guadec2013/ are available only in
    proprietary formats, H.264 for the video and MP3 for the audio-only
    option.

    Why aren't they available at least *also* in formats using Free codecs
    (webm / theora / ogg) ? Preferably they should even be available *only*
    using Free codecs!

Indeed, it is important not to push the users into using formats
that are dangerous for free software.

    > Why aren't they available at least *also* in formats using Free codecs
    > (webm / theora / ogg) ? Preferably they should even be available *only*
    > using Free codecs!

    We had asked SuperLectures to use WebM, if possible, but I think it fell
    through the cracks. I will ask them about it.

We should _make sure_ only to post in formats that are favorable to
free software.  That means not creating loopholes with words such as
"if possible".  It should be, "Post only Ogg and/or Webm."

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation