Re: Google Code-In 2012?

On Wed, 2012-10-24 at 09:11 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/22/2012 11:40 PM, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > Assuming that not everybody reads this mailing list I've written a
> > public call:
> > http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/2012/10/22/gnome-do-you-want-to-participate-in-google-code-in/
> >
> > If nobody volunteers to become organizer, GNOME will not take part.
>
> In my experience this kind of public call for volunteers, combined with
> a threat, is not an effective strategy.

It's not a threat. It's a statement of fact. If you care about GCI,
you need to step up. It's not Andre's job to chase everybody down.
He's already done more than he had to.

> How about if the board (or the mentors) got together, and put together a
> short-list of 3 or 4 potential organizers, and ask them individually? It
> would be a disaster (and rather ridiculous) if GNOME did not take part.

I don't think it would be that disastrous. Why do we have to take
part? I'm among the people who think the program is a total waste
of time and effort. There's nothing ridiculous about not wasting
time.

--
Shaun