Re: A few observations about GIMPNET

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Andrea Veri <av gnome org> wrote:

Most of the home-hosted bots are there to substitute the work of
missing services like nickserv and chanserv, the other ones I recall
(nagbot and bugbot) are hosted by Bugzilla and by the GNOME
infrastructure.

Can we get nickserv and chanserv working?

I'm not really sure I understand the problem statement?  Have other people have the same problem?

Yeah, the suffix #gnome-$(channel_name) should help with that and many
other large projects are living on Freenode since several years and
they are able to administer the relevant channels with the proper ACLs
without delays and problems, so finding a channel could be a problem
for the very first months.

Last year or maybe 2010, GNOME Foundation took over the GNOME namespace on freenode.  Currently, myself and Og are the owners of this.

Secondly, we have a GNOME presence in #gnome with at least two active volunteers who have spend their free time answering questions, even more so than in #gnome on gimpnet.

In terms of community outreach, there are advantages of having us on freenode.  On the other hand, that can also be an issue based on rancor our decisions we make on our desktop.

So in some way, we're protected from large number of unhappy people trolling the channels if we had a major presence.

I don't have very strong opinions on a move.  I like being on gimpnet and I've been on freenode for 15 years.  So it's all good to me.

sri