Re: GNOME now

2012/11/28 Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 17:22 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> I'm really not worried about programmers desktops - GNU/Linux is so
> widespread in the technical fields that this is a battle we are
> already doing well in (not as well as I'd like, I'm still massively
> irritated by how many of my programmer colleagues think it's
> acceptable to use a freedom-hurting Apple laptop/desktop, but I
> digress).

As we're in the nitpick thread, you're putting people running any
software on Apple hardware in the same basket. My Mac runs Linux, always
has. It's a shame I can't get custom designed hardware designed as
easily as I can software.

Not to mention that any hardware you buy is more freedom-hurting than Apple itself in the software camp, I can name a bunch of open source projects where Apple is a key contributor if not the founder, whereas NVIDIA, Imagination, AMD, Broadcom and friends are screwing the ecosystem with regards to GPU and Wireless drivers. Is people using WebKit, LLVM or any of the contributions to GCC that they have done freedom-hurters? I ask this because I think using their software should be as bad as using their hardware, right?

Let's not get fanatic in here please, if people use Mac OS X, then that's our failure, pointing the finger at them and calling them freedom haters is not going to help the software freedom cause. Instead, we should ask ourselves why is it that GNOME is not good enough for them.

Alberto Ruiz