Re: GNOME now

    Another big area is applications. We are working on a new suite of
    core applications, which are designed in accordance with our
    high-level goals (cloud integration is a key objective here).

Anything designed using the term "cloud" is taking a risk
of encouraging practices that are abusive to the user.

That term is nebulous and includes many different practices.  Some of
them are ok.  Some of them are things only fools would use.
The term "cloud" suggests an attitude of insufficient concern
for the mistreatment -- in effect, cloudy thinking.

To be careful about which network services to use, people need to
focus on the specifics of each one -- an attitude just the opposite of
what "the cloud" suggests.  We should encourage the attitude of
caution and careful thought about each.

Encouraging people to depend on network servers run by others is one
of the harmful aspects of recent computer products.  An ethical
product encourages and leads people to keep full control over their
data and their computing, not hand them over to companies which we
know do surveillance and abuse people's data.

Thus, the server we should mainly encourage people to use is the
Freedom Box.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation