Re: Looking for community managers or enthusiasts!

Hi Tristan,

Le jeudi 15 novembre 2012, à 16:56 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> > The wrong idea of course is that people think we're just removing features
> > for no apparent reason even though for instance fallback mode was never
> > guarantee.  We need to correct those misconceptions.
>
> Are you saying that a fallback mode was never guaranteed ?

I don't think it was guaranteed for the whole GNOME 3 lifecycle
(although, I personally believe it might have been nice to do so, but
our resources makes it impossible). Keep in mind that when 3.8 will be
out next March, it will be nearly two years since the 3.0 relese --
that's quite some time already.

[...]

> Perhaps what we need is not a person/group of people working
> for 'good press' and telling people that we have their best interests
> at heart, but rather a bit more transparency in how we make our
> decisions... reinstating our module proposals might be a good
> first step towards including the whole community and getting them
> more involved in decision making again.

Did you miss the discussion on desktop-devel-list about the future of
the fallback mode [1]? If no, how could it have been made more
transparent?

To me, the discussion clearly highlighted that there was a problem of
manpower to keep maintaining the fallback mode an official part of
GNOME, with the quality standards we expect from such an official
component.

Cheers,

Vincent

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2012-October/msg00107.html