Re: A question to the candidates

On 05/27/2012 11:21 AM, Gil Forcada wrote:
My question is about hardware and contacts: The average user is not going to ever install its own operating system by itself, for them hardware and software come together and they die together, so a new version of Windows means a new laptop and so on, a new iPhone OS means a new iPhone hardware...
Yes, I think that is crucial to spreading of free software. As we don't yet have any kind of image with a base OS, so that is currently up to the distributions. OSTree is a good step in this direction. The KDE Vivaldi initiative seems interesting and something that I think is worth investigating further, but I don't think it's worth doing quite yet until we have other pieces of the stack ready.

So the crucial part here are ISV, contacting them, engaging with them and finally making them ship our great software to the end user.
Our story for allowing ISV's get their software in the hands of users currently sucks (say I want the newest GIMP on release day, but...no). Things like glick, extensions.gnome.org and Xan's webapp work is a step in the right direction and I think it would be worth some foundation money to do a hackfest around this.
- Andreas