Re: A question to the candidates

2012/5/27 Diego Escalante Urrelo <diegoe gnome org>:
> Hi Gil,
>
> Perhaps this link is relevant:
> http://makeplaylive.com/
>
> I would add this questions to your thread:
> Do you think a similar venture for GNOME would make sense?
> How do you think this, or a similar project, can happen without
> leaving us bankrupt?

The success KDE has had with their tablet offer does indicate that
there is a demand for such hardware and that it is financially viable
once we can deliver a certain level of functionality. However I doubt
that GNOME OS is currently really ready to be deployed to users on
tablets, general users that is. So any big push like e.g. doing a
Kickstarter campaign to fund it is likely going to build high
expectations with a group of users that we cannot currently serve well
enough, a situation I foresee would harm GNOME longterm.

However it is important to get some test hardware into the hands of
our developers, how to do that without bankrupting GNOME is likely
going to be tricky.

I would love to do it and I think it is important that we find a way
to make it happen. First I would love for someone to examine how many
units and what hardware specs, would be desirable, and what that would
cost. If we have an idea of the budget for getting a tablet into the
hands of our developers it would be easier to figure out a way to make
it happen.

- David