Re: GNOME Foundation Board Elections Spring 2012 - Preliminary Results

On 06/11/2012 08:56 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> First, congratulations to all the new Board members, and many thanks to
> all the candidates that didn't make the cut.

Nice list.  Congrats new board, and everyone else who ran.

> Reading the results[1], I saw in round 3:
> "Candidate Bastien Nocera was chosen by breaking the tie randomly."
>
> How was this done randomly? What would the results have been if
> Emmanuele was selected as the tie-breaker instead?

It wouldn't have made any difference in this case at all.  In fact, from what
I understand it can never make any difference when breaking ties choosing a
winner.  It *does*, however, when breaking ties eliminating candidates.  See
this short paper for an overview of how it can matter (and why not use
randomness to break ties!):

  http://www.votingmatters.org.uk/ISSUE18/I18P6.PDF

Cheers,
behdad