Discussing changes to the GNOME Foundation Bylaws

Dear Foundation,

we worked on the bylaws and this is the current status. Please find the
current bylaws here: <http://www.gnome.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/bylaws.pdf>.
I converted that PDF to reStructuredText and you can find the current
bylaws in that format here <http://people.gnome.org/~tobiasmue/bylaws2012/bylaws-2002.rst>.
(This list only allows attachments <40kB :-\ )

The membership voted to change the bylaws several times since 2002, but
the actual bylaws were never updated. Also, some things work now
differently than a decade ago. We came up with a changed version which
you can find here
<http://people.gnome.org/~tobiasmue/bylaws2012/bylaws-2012.rst>. The
diff of the changes is here
<http://people.gnome.org/~tobiasmue/bylaws2012/bylaws-2002-2012.diff>.

We think we have incorporated all the changes that should be made. But
we'd obviously love if people check whether it's actually right. I
suggest that interested people check whether the translation to .rst was
correct and then go through the changes. In case there is any need to
discuss, we do it here.

We will hopefully end up with a version that works for everyone. At some
stage, we need to officially give 21 days notice of the change of the
bylaws as per Article XVII of the current bylaws. Then people have time
to object the changes. If 5% of the membership (currently that would be
around 20) object, we will vote on that. I will clearly announce once we
are in that stage. Let's try to start the notice period in one month
from now though. So if you have any changes to the changes, make
yourself heard until the 30th September 2012.

Cheers,
  Tobi