Re: Boston Summit?

On Sat, 2012-04-28 at 13:44 -0500, meg ford wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Marina Zhurakhinskaya
> <marinaz redhat com>wrote:
>
> > I'm also considering going to Grace Hopper, especially if the panel
> > proposal I'm a part of gets accepted. The speaker notifications for Grace
> > Hopper will happen May 17th. I know there might be just a few of us for
> > whom it will matter, but if Joanie was brave enough to ask, I'd like to
> > second her interest in considering a different weekend because of this
> > overlap. After all, if we do go to Grace Hopper, all we'll be talking to
> > people and presenting about will be GNOME, and it would be disappointing to
> > be missing an important GNOME conference at the same time.
> >
> > Also GSoC mentors summit will be October 19-21, and it would be nice if
> > the GNOME Summit (wherever it is :) doesn't conflict with it either.
> >
> >  I agree. I think that it would be good for GNOME to make as strong a
> showing as possible at Grace Hopper. I understand that scheduling conflicts
> are unavoidable in some cases, but I think that re-scheduling the North
> American GNOME Summit should be strongly considered. It would be best for
> members of GNOME to not have to choose between the two events. I was really
> pleased that Joanie brought this up.

A bit of context:

The reason the Boston Summit is on Columbus day is because we could get
the venue for free, plus being during a long weekend because of no
university activities.

Last year there were issues to book the venue, so we got alternatively
Montréal just on September, which was not free but cheap ($200/day in
holidays). However, the date was not changed.

This year we booked the MIT in advance to avoid the same issue (as Karen
already said).

That said, the main driving force is who organize it keeping the costs
as low as possible, being the 'who' the hardest part to get involved (it
has to be a local person).

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
http://people.gnome.org/~gpoo/