Re: Boston Summit?

On Fri, April 27, 2012 2:47 pm, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 04/27/2012 02:18 PM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
>> On 04/27/2012 12:25 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking, size permitting, we may even be able to do at Mozilla
>>> offices?
>>
>> What were you thinking about the date? Is Columbus Day weekend ideal,
>> inconvenient, or irrelevant?
>
> Eventually that's the board's call.  Personally, I can help for any time
> before mid October, but late October is Unicode Conference time for me.

Columbus Day weekend has always been a convenient time in the past because
it's a long weekend, and typically schools don't have a lot going on so
it's easier to get space. As we discovered last year, though, when we
moved locations, traditions can be broken for good reason.

To avoid what happened last year, I went ahead and got a hold on space at
MIT for that weekend (with amazing help from Walter Bender!!), so we have
that space if we want it on Columbus Day weekend. Ryan tells me that
there's also a possible push to have the event in Montreal again.

I think we should probably have it wherever there is a solid push to
organize the event, but if we've got 3 different places that are
interested in hosting, I think we should probably do at least a quick bid
process as we do for other events. Do we have folks motivated in these
three places to warrant this? Are there teams (or individuals, since this
is a less formal event) in Toronto, Boston and/or Montreal that are
willing to take on the burden of trying to organize this? Boston does have
a small advantage so far in that there's already reserved space for no
charge :)

I'm excited that there's enthusiasm for a North American summit!
karen