Re: On git.gnome.org and gitorious

Hey,

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
Bastien Nocera wrote:

> If we were to change the infrastructure we use for hosting git trees,
> we'd need something more concrete than "wouldn't it be nice". Please
> give us a list of advantages, changes, potential pitfalls, pricing, etc.
> For example, why gitorious and not github?

I had the same questions as Bastien, but thought that probably the more technical discussion should be moved to bugzilla or another list, so probably we should do that, although I don't know which place is the best.

A potential pitfall? I have no idea how Gitorious would integrate with
the way we manage accounts in LDAP, and how we'd want it to integrate
even. A possible idea would be doing it like alioth.debian.org does
it, the actual Debian developers are taken from LDAP while other users
can create accounts that won't get past the frontier of that service.

I was thinking something along the lines of that.

Pricing? Initially I thought we'd be short of capable persons, and
we'd have to resort to hiring someone like we did for the bugzilla
upgrade. I would definitely love if it can be done by community
members.

Well, this initially should be much easier as importing git repositories is almost as just copy the files from the local server or using git clone, so having a instance of gitorious as test that has a mirror of the gnome git repos should be fairly easy. Other thing would be if we want "upstream" to be the repos in gitorious, meaning are we going to accept merge requests to Gtk+ in Gitorious? if not, probably we can just make mirrors to the repos and use post-commit hooks to keep them update them.

Greets

José