Re: Two Questions for the Board Candidates

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Lefty <lefty shugendo org> wrote:

> Attempts to divide the community and delegitimize individuals and their viewpoints are common, and becoming increasingly so in the past few years. Bad feelings have driven many away from the level of involvement in the community they've previously had. Do candidates see this as a problem? Do they have any proposals for addressing it?

Reminding people of the guidelines stated in the Code of Conduct and
warning them when they might have -unwillingly- said something
flamish; that's what we can do and what we should.

> Second: Do candidates have any view as to how the disastrous attempts at engagement by GNOME with the mobile space might be improved on? The "GNOME Mobile and Embedded Initiative" went nowhere, and arguably handed the mobile device space to Google and Android by forfeit. Since that time, there have been various attempts to get community-based, mainstream open source onto mobile devices, all of which have pretty much died. The sole remaining effort seems to be MeeGo, and GNOME has no apparent direct involvement there.
>
> Do candidates have any thoughts on the future of GNOME with respect to the mobile space? It's the fastest-growing portion of the general computing device market, and the main platform choices are proprietary or as good as. One of the issues raised by Canonical with respect to the GNOME 3 shell for Ubuntu was that it wasn't felt to be as appropriate for tablets and the like as Unity...

Agree that it has not worked, not being an expert on mobile topics I
can only think of some of the basic things like: having /something/
concrete to sell, a really really easy SDK, getting our stuff to
devices...
I guess these are really "obvious" things but we haven't really done
them anyway.