Meeting Minutes Published - May 10th, 2011

The meeting minutes for the May 10th GNOME Foundation board
meeting is now published.  Refer here:


Other past board meetings are archived here:


-- text of the latest minutes follows --
Minutes for Meeting of May 10th, 2011

Next Meeting

    * May 24th, 2011

Board Meeting Private Agenda


    * Andreas Nilsson
    * Bastien Nocera
    * Brian Cameron
    * Emily Chen
    * Og Maciel
    * Rosanna Yuen


    * Paul Cutler


    * Germán Póo-Caamaño

Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person update their action items?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to use gobby server for better minute taking.

New Items

    * Marketing Update and Post Mortum. Alan Day and Sumana
      Harihareswara joined for this section of the meeting.
          o Things to focus on:
                + The Fedora 15 release will be the first release with
                  GNOME 3 so it will likely shape public perceptions.
                + Need to coordinate better planning for the 3.2
                  release, and releases going forward.
                + Building relationships with Journalists and media.
                + Set up press kit materials.
                + Build burst capacity into * sites.
                + Need a leader for the Ambassador program.
          o Considered ways to improve marketing involvement:
                + Getting more people involved with updating the
                  website or GNOME Journal.
                + Better recognition.
                + One of the conclusions was that if we just execute
                  better on the things we know we should be doing, we
                  will see improvement. We do not necessarily need more
                  plans or structure. It is important to return email
                  promptly, be encouraging, and so on.
          o Alan and Sumana agreed to put together a Wiki page to
            highlight their experience working for The GNOME Foundation
            to help people get better engaged and involved with The
            GNOME community.

    * Open Help Conference
          o The board oted +6 to approve the budget of $3,170 for 4
            people to attend.
          o ACTION: Brian - One attendee to the Open Help Conference
            needs an invitation letter for their Visa. Brian to provide
            a signed copy to Shaun McCance.
          o ACTION: Brian - To notify Shaun McCance that the hackfest
            costs will be covered.

    * COSCUP asked if a GNOME speaker could talk at COSCUP 2011.
          o This COSCUP conference focus is "Gadgets beyond
            Smartphones", so they are looking for a speaker to talk
            about topics like small footprint devices like netbooks and
          o Bastien expressed interest in attending COSCUP in Taiwan to
            discuss GNOME Mobile, which is the topic of the upcoming
            COSCUP event.
                + Emily and Bastien to discuss further offline.

    * The board approved Bastien signing the GTK+/MeeGo contract for
      The GNOME Foundation.
          o ACTION: Bastien - To sign and send the GTK+/MeeGo contract
            back to Igalia.

    * The board approved budgeting $2,500 (USD) for Og traveling to

    * The board approved sending GNOME stickers to Paul to hand out at
      Fedora events.

Completed Actions

    * Andreas - To invite Marina Zhurakhinskaya (Women's Outreach),
      Shaun McCance (upcoming OpenHelp Hackfest), and Dave Neary
      (Desktop Summit & training) to talk at the meeting.
    * Andreas - To collect 3 bullet items from each speaker
      highlighting what they will talk about.
    * Bastien - To respond to Ryan Lortie's propsoal to improve
      technical leadership. This new action was done shortly after the
    * Brian - One attendee to the Open Help Conference needs an
      invitation letter for their Visa. Brian to provide a signed copy
      to Shaun McCance. The new action was done shortly after the
    * Brian - To notify Shaun McCance that the hackfest costs will be
      covered. This new action was done shortly after the meeting.

Status of action items

    * Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if
      relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more
      public. (will ping again).
    * Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the
      gnome-de gnome org mailing list about finding local German
      volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
    * Andreas - Will look into the possibility of a Desktop Summit
      design where the facade is more neutral.
    * Andreas - Will blog a Desktop Summit status report.
    * Andreas - Will discuss with Ryan Lortie providing support
      contracts for GTK+.
    * Andreas - Will look into header to see if we can
      add a link to see This will help more readers to
      hopefully notice IRC meeting.
    * Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the
      feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back
      to Texas Instruments.
    * Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from
      Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
    * Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting
      results from internal review process and email it to the board.
    * Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, page colors, or PSN badges).
    * Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track
      Friends of GNOME post card sending.
    * Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
    * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
      collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
    * Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo
      to plan for a hackfest there.
    * Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see
      if they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
    * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
      Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
    * Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
      use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at
      the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use
      the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with
      them. Taken over from Jorge.
    * Brian - Will follow up with the lawyers to discuss what would be
      involved to provide liability protection like what the
      Conservancy provides and to see if they have any perspective
      about whether the GNOME Foundation should allow GNOME projects to
      join Conservancy.
    * Brian - Will touch base with the GIMP organizers to find out
      their plans for the GIMP money.
    * Brian & Og - To coordinate a fund raising meeting with the
      GStreamer, a11y, GIMP, and Banshee teams. Will draft an agenda.
    * Brian - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara
      to sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC.
    * Emily - Follow by email about vote for the options for how to
      spend additional money after produced GNOME 3.0 Goodies.
    * Emily - Update Tracking ID for 112 Launch Party Packages.
      Tracking from
    * Emily - Will contact the guadec-list and gugmeisters mailing
      lists to encourage people to get involved with GUADEC 2012
    * Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME
      Foundation money in Euros (€).
    * Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or
      less money from Brazil.
    * Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the
      board to review.
    * Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we will
      plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
    * Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task
      and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey
      topics together. (Handing over to someone else).
    * Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
          o As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask
            him what his idea is for doing this.
          o Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
          o Still on ToDo.
    * Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for
          o Still on ToDo.
    * Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash
      list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken
      over from Behdad Esfahbod.
    * Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start
    * Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from and
      gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies
      from the community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more
      concrete for gnome-marketing to determine the best name and
      process for managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing
      list and a few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them
      again for further comments.
    * Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees
      for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to
      vote by.
    * Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James
      Vasile, etc.
    * Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark
      agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
    * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
    * Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information
      into GnuCash.
    * All board members - To review and comment Brian's April 14th
      proposal regarding better organizing earmarked fundraising.

New Action Items

    * Bastien - To sign and send the GTK+?/MeeGo contract back to

Discussed on the mailing list

    * Moving forward on hiring a new GNOME Executive Director (ED).

    * Events
          o Planning for the UserHelp 2011 hackfest.
          o Emily let the board know that the COSCUP event is interest
            in having a GNOME speaker. This COSCUP conference focus is
            "Gadgets beyond Smartphones", so they are looking for a
            speaker to talk about topics like small footprint devices
            like netbooks and mobile.

    * Planning for the Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday, May 3rd.
          o Ekaterina Gerasimova provided a Desktop Summit update
          o Marina Zhurakhinskaya provided a GNOME Women's Outreach
          o Shaun McCance GNOME Documentation Team talked about the
            upcoming UserHelp hackfest.

    * Banking Issues
          o Someone in Alabama cashed two checks and made 5 direct
            debits for a total of $10,433.28.
          o This issue was noticed by Rosanna and the bank was notified
            on May 3rd.
          o Rosanna provided an update and said the bank is looking
            into the issue.
          o This seems to be an error that the bank will correct.

    * Libre Graphics Meeting
          o The GNOME Foundation is no longer handling funds for the
            LGM. LGM has set up a separate non-for-profit in Canada.
            Their funds have been transferred to their own account.

    * Miscellaneous
      * Working with the GNOME Foundation Membership Committee to plan
        a proposed schedule for 2011 elections.
      * Vincent Untz is working with The GNOME Foundation to make GNOME
        3.0 DVD's available for distribution.
      * FreeWear provided a report about GNOME-branded merchandise they
        have sold.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]