Meeting Minutes Published - December 23, 2010

The meeting minutes for the December 23rd GNOME Foundation board
meeting is now published.  Refer here:


Other past board meetings are archived here:


-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of December 23rd, 2010

Next Meeting

    * January 6th, 2010


    * Andreas Nilsson
    * Brian Cameron
    * Emily Chen
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Paul Cutler
    * Rosanna Yuen


    * Bastien Nocera
    * Og Maciel


Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to
      the board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * Update website.

New Items

    * Desktop Summit Update (Andreas)
          o One of the hardest parts has been selecting the context
            management system (CMS). Drupal has been selected. There
            are still questions about where to host it, but that should
            be resolved soon.
          o The budget is being worked on.
          o Beds in Hotel/Hostels have been prebooked for the
            conference period.
          o I signed paperwork and sent off to GNOME Foundation and KDE
          o The organizers are planning a face-to-face meeting at
            Fosdem, probably on Saturday during lunch.
          o Andreas spoke with Kat while in Berlin and checked how
            things are going. Things are progressing well according to

    * Germán sent the 2011 budget to the foundation-list.

    * GTK+/MeeGo project call for bids.
          o A bid was chosen and will be announced soon. Those who
            submitted bids have been contacted and told if their bid
            was selected or not.

    * Marketing contract
          o Announcement that we have $5,000 to spend on a contractor
            was sent to the marketing list.
          o ACTION: Paul will follow up with the marketing-list to
            provide more details about what sort of work we would like
            to have done for the marketing contract.

    * GNOME 3.0 launch events
          o Emily provided a budget for providing goodies for GNOME 3.0
            launch events.
          o Plan to know exactly how many launch events will be held by
            the end of February.
          o Paul, Brian, Germán, and Emily give a +1.

    * Travel committee wants to try out Egencia
          o Egencia is a business travel site that is affiliated with
          o Cost is $375 per year plus $7 per transaction. They can
            hold this offer only through end of 2010.
          o This service is only useful for purchasing tickets for U.S.
            based airlines.
          o The travel committee believes this service will save time.
          o Everyone gave a +1, so this is approved.

    * The board reviewed open action items and closed several that are
      no longer being actively worked on.

Completed Actions

    * Andreas - To check with Johannes and Shaun about having a
      Developer Documentation Hackfest. The hackfest is now being
    * Bastien - Setup committee to look at GTK+/MeeGo integration bids.
    * Bastien - To form a working group to review the GTK+/MeeGo bids
      and choose a final list.
    * Brian - To draft initial email about hiring marketing help. Paul
      will assist with editing and send to marketing-list.
    * Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the
      Annual Report.
    * Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board
      can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation.
      The hackfest is now being organized.
    * Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
    * Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants article in
      the annual report.
    * Paul - Will create the Executive Director hiring mailing list.
    * Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
      work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
      we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive
      responses. This is no longer being actively worked on.

Status of action items

    * Andreas - Will finish the Friends of GNOME revamp and find
      someone with proper javascript skills to help.
    * Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if
      relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more
      public. (will ping again).
    * Andreas - To take the GUADEC feedback and post it to a public
      wiki page. (someone else did this I think?)
    * Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the
      gnome-de gnome org mailing list about finding local German
      volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
    * Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the
      feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back
      to Texas Instruments.
    * Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from
      Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
    * Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting
      results from internal review process and email it to the board.
    * Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, page colors, or PSN badges).
    * Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track
      Friends of GNOME post card sending.
    * Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
    * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
      collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
    * Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo
      to plan for a hackfest there.
    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME
      legal team.
    * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
      Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
    * Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
      use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at
      the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use
      the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with
      them. Taken over from Jorge.
    * Emily - To send the budget for the GNOME 3.0 launch activities to
      the board for review and vote.
    * Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME
      Foundation money in Euros (€).
    * Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or
      less money from Brazil.
    * Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the
      board to review.
    * Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we'll
      plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
    * Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task
      and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey
      topics together. (Handing over to someone else.)
    * Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
          o As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask
            him what his idea is for doing this.
          o Still haven't heard back from vuntz
    * Og - Will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that
      refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.
    * Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for
    * Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash
      list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken
      over from Behdad Esfahbod.
    * Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start
    * Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from and gnome-
      marketing to define the best way for organizations like
      to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the
      community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for
      gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for
      managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a
      few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for
      further comments.
    * Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees
      for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to
      vote by.
    * Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James
      Vasile, etc.
    * Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark
      agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
    * Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information
      into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the
      website up-to-date.
    * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled
      out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the
      bank to continue process.
    * Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for
      GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it
      already for GNOME.

New Action Items

    * Paul - Will follow up with the marketing-list to provide more
      details about what sort of work we would like to have done for
      the marketing contract.

Discussed on the mailing list

    * Mobile
          o Bastien is working to make a decision about which Mobile
            bid will be approved.

    * Marketing/Finance
          o Discussion about hiring short-term marketing help.
          o Trading emails with Ramón Villaverde about finalizing the
            agreement for FreeWear to sell GNOME-branded merchandise.
          o Rosanna found a new accountant, Burton Li. Buron's
            specialty is nonprofits in California. He will charge $75
            per hour, which will likely change to a flat-rate once
            Burton has a better understanding of the amount of work

    * Friends of GNOME
          o Og provided an update on the new campaign. He said that
            most tasks have been completed with a couple of exceptions:
                + Lucas Rocha should be contacted to take the campaign
                  ruler that Paul did and properly enable it.
                + Still no videos.
                + No text from Joey for the magazines.
                + Paul sent out notes to all current subscribers about
                + Og wants to know what happens going forwards as
                  Stormy had given me the task of maintaining LWN and
                  new subscriptions (Og already send out emails for new
                  subscribers and cancellations, and Og maintains the
                  previous donors page).

    * Events
          o The GNOME.Asia organizers announced that the GNOME.Asia
            Summit 2011 will be held in Bangladore, India.
          o Emily proposed a plan to provide goodies for GNOME 3 launch
            events. The expected cost will be USD 7,926 to provide
            goodies for 100 parties. Goodies will include t-shirts,
            stickers, balloons, buttons, and postage costs.

    * Accessibility
          o Germán is putting together a contract between the GNOME
            Foundation and Emergya to do work to improve orca

    * Miscellaneous
          o Discussion about ownership of the GNOME logo. Currently
            discussing with Jakub Steiner and Tuomas (tigert) Kuosmanen.
          o Discussion about having a meeting on December 23rd or to
            skip the meeting due to the holidays. The board decided to
            have the meeting on the 23rd.
          o Discussion about updates to the "Employee Handbook"
            recommended by Karen Sandler from the Software Freedom Law
          o Paul highlighted that KDE & The Document Foundation join

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]