Re: Meeting Minutes Published - February 1st, 2011

Hi,

Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Gregory Leblanc
>
>     Any details on this?  Are they leaving for financial reasons, or
>     philosophical ones?  There's still a big banner on their website
>     regarding the partnership with Gnome.  Did they not just join the
>     advisory board back in July?
>
> LiMo just made some announcement on LiMo4.. is GNOME no longer a
> possible strategy for them ?  Like Gregory I'd be interested in hearing
> why they pulled out and what effect it might have on our embedded device
> strategy?

As the GNOME person quoted, I have a little more info (but the board is
better placed than me).

LiMo uses GNOME technology. They continue to support the foundation's
activities on a case-by-case basis, but their executive director did not
consider that the advisory board position was giving the foundation
value for money. We have been informing their advisory board
representatives of the great stuff we have been doing around hackfests,
training programmes, GNOME 3 plans, support for GTK+ on mobile, etc. but
Mr. Gillis was not convinced that the foundation was sufficiently
focussed on mobile to make the $20K a year worth paying. Obviously, I
disagree with him.

In any case, the quote I gave to the press release for LiMo 4 still
holds true - we love to see people using our code, and I'd be happy to
see LiMo members working more closely with the GNOME foundation in the
future.

Cheers,
Dave.

--