Re: GTK+/MeeGo Handset integration work, call for bids

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 09:35 -0700, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:
> I'm raising a red flag:
>
> W: Failed to fetch http://download.meego.com/live/devel:/tools:/sdk:/host/${distribution}/Sources.gz  404  Not Found
>
> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to put this kind of funding in to a
> project that does not comply with DSC/DFSG

Calm down. MeeGo is an operating system that is under development. I'm
sure the folks at Intel and Nokia will sort it out for you if you
politely ask them for the sources.

You're also referring to a Debian repo's Sources.gz. Most source code of
what you need for GTK+ integration in MeeGo is readily available either
as upstream projects (unchanged softwares) or on meego.gitorious.org

> http://www.debian.org/social_contract

Note that GNOME doesn't necessarily follow Debian's social contract.
GNOME has its own guidelines. Sure they match mostly with Debian's
social contract, but it's not helpful to intermix different project's
guidelines and raise red flags about them.

This indeed sounds better:

>         The GNOME Project is an effort to create a complete, free and
>         easy-to-use desktop environment for users, as well as a
>         powerful application development framework for software
>         developers. GNOME is part of the GNU Project, is Free
>         Software, and developed as Open Source software.
>
>         The GNOME Foundation will work to further the goal of the
>         GNOME project: to create a computing platform for use by the
>         general public that is completely free software.
>
>         To achieve this goal, the Foundation will coordinate releases
>         of GNOME and determine which projects are part of GNOME. The
>         Foundation will act as an official voice for the GNOME
>         project, providing a means of communication with the press and
>         with commercial and noncommercial organizations interested in
>         GNOME software. The foundation may produce educational
>         materials and documentation to help the public learn about
>         GNOME software. In addition, it may sponsor GNOME-related
>         technical conferences, and represent GNOME at relevant
>         conferences sponsored by others, help create technical
>         standards for the project and promote the use and development
>         of GNOME software.

Yes, and if you can find any piece of software that the developer needs
of which the source code isn't available; then ask Intel or Nokia for
assistance. Or ask the MeeGo community on the FreeNode IRC server.

Non-availability of a Sources.gz while MeeGo is perhaps migrating to
another package repository format isn't necessarily a 'red flag'.

Cheers,

Philip