Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

On 3/5/10 8:44 AM, "David Schlesinger" <lefty shugendo org> wrote:

> "If everything gets done inside or through your browser, it would make
> toolkits such as GTK and desktop environments such as GNOME obsolete,
> except as platforms for a browser."

Just so we're completely clear here, I'd suggest that

"If everything gets done inside or through EMACS, it would make toolkits
such as GTK and desktop environments such as GNOME obsolete, except as
platforms for EMACS."

is neither less true, nor less unreasonable, than the statement I've quoted.

I'd gently point out that the EMACS project has been generally attempting to
do pretty much precisely this for going on four decades now. That doesn't
provide any more support for the position that using EMACS is detrimental to
GNOME than the original statement does for the position that using a browser
is detrimental to GNOME.