Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

This is the briefest possible reply to curb some misinterpretations that are
dragging this out.  I can go into more detail offlist.

"Lefty (石鏡 )" <lefty shugendo org> writes:
> the answer is [] not [] :avoid anything that runs on "a server".

No one's suggested that.

> Surely the open-ness or closed-ness of an application depends on the terms
> under which it's made available, not where it runs.

Yes, but that's not the topic.  The topic is about if the *user has* freedom/control.

> This "desktop good/web bad" thinking is terribly broad-brushed.

Nobody's suggested that either.

> [...]you don't even actually _use_ the web [...] it's unclear to
> me why one might take cues on

For some things, we can see the danger even if we've never done them.
Putting your hand in a crocodile's mouth is an example.

> the FSF has no apparent privacy policy

https://my.fsf.org/donate/privacypolicy.html
For "Customer Information", "Sales", "Donations", "Membership", and "User Registration".

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, +32 487 64 17 54, http://ciaran.compsoc.com

Please help build the software patents wiki: http://en.swpat.org

               http://www.EndSoftwarePatents.org