Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 04:35 -0600, Andrew Savory wrote:

Hey Andrew,

> Focussing in on one area that I can talk about: Qt is perceived by
> some to be stronger from a business perspective due to the 'more
> complete' offering: extensive documentation and an SDK.
>
> Perhaps more focus on and promotion of GNOME's developer tools/sdk
> offerings would be a useful meta-goal for the coming year? Somehow
> enunciating the proposition that you don't need to be an alpha-dog
> developer to get engaged with GTK etc.
>
> For example, I only recently found out about Anjuta: it's presumably a
> fairly important tool for people developing using GNOME technologies,
> but look at the results at
> http://www.google.com/search?q=anjuta&as_sitesearch=www.gnome.org
> (Yes, I know there's a ton of stuff at library.gnome.org, I'm being
> devil's advocate here ...)

How about if we'd promote the GNOME devtools distribution more?

Its website is hardly inviting, it's not themed like the rest of
gnome.org at this moment: http://projects.gnome.org/devtools/

I think it deserves a tab on the homepage gnome.org and more attention.

Perhaps have a blog aggregator that is maintained by somebody who cherry
picks blog items from planet-gnome (and other sources), so that only the
technical and development related articles appear?

-- I noticed several people asking for a technical-only blog aggregator.

The maintainer of that website could also be responsible for taking
interviews of GNOME developers. For asking developers of popular
libraries to write an article about how to use their library. And then
to style that article and put it on the developer's website.

All GNOME programmers should be involved and take up responsibility.

I remember the "GNOME Scaffolding" project and the increased interest in
things like this. I think gnome-build was created back then, and
GtkSourceView's origin can probably also be traced back to that period?

Cheers,

Philip

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org