Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

Hi,

Jud Craft wrote:
> In other words, I think I have to be an alpha-dog developer, and
> nothing I've seen convinced me otherwise...

There's some confusion about what I meant by "alpha dog developer" which
I caused, obviously, so I should clear it up.

To make your platform successful as a developer platform, you need the
Cool Kids building for it. Platforms that have had Cool Kid vibes going
in the past are OS X, the iPhone, Ruby on Rails, Web 2.0/AJAX/REST/...
and even at one stage C.

GTK+ (or more generally GNOME) isn't a Cool Kid platform in the way
Android, for example is today. To succeed we need the Cool Kids getting
excited about us, because they bring lots of useful stuff - cool
applications, other developers that follow the Cool Kids, media
attention from all the Cool Kids watchers, etc.

When I talked about "alpha dog developers" I'm not talking about guys
who eat kernel device drivers for breakfast, I'm talking about
developers who get other developers excited about the stuff they're
working on. The alpha dog in the pack. The gang leader. The Fonz.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary