Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

Please accept my apologies for butting in, if that's what I'm doing.  I have a thought that may be useful, but that, of course, is for you to judge.

GNOME needs a metric of "success".  Years ago it was "10x10", which is ridiculous today as it was when it was first proposed.  But it reveals an implicit assumption: "more users == success".  We need a firm statement from the foundation on this.  Is it possible that "easier to use and more productive than either Windows or MacOS" == success?

Simply put, is it "more is better", or "better is better"?

We know that the marketplace is littered with technically superior products that failed because the competition understood what it takes to "succeed": flood the channel and repeat simplistic messages via mass media ad nauseum.  This takes money, and GNOME does not have that.

GNOME will improve, in whatever direction, only by having talented developers writing code and talented writers writing documentation and promotional materials.  What will motivate those people?  Being part of a project that defines "success" as increasing it's market share from 0.001 to 002%?  Or being part of a project that aims to produce a DE that is a joy to use, and is arguably the best on the planet?

Thus endeth the rant.

Thanks for reading,

John.